Vinux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jun 2 05:08:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

Again, I must disagree.  Debian does install basic accessibility with a
standard install.  It doesn't install Orca, although it should.  It does
install Speakup and I think brltty though.  Samuel is working on an
accessibility section of the archive which should help, but Orca should
be included as part of the standard desktop task.  Even so, one does get
a bootable system with speech after the install and one can easily
install Orca.  Again, Ubuntu includes Orca already, but not Speakup.  I
guess in that regard, a distro that includes both out of the box would
be better.  I'm not saying that any distro is perfect, and even Debian
has work to do to make it more accessible, but the tools are easily
available and included as part of Debian, while Orca is part of Ubuntu.

I do agree that grml is very difficult to use with X.  I got nowhere
when I tried, so I gave up.  It is a very good command line CD and does
include software speech, but it should include a way to install the
standard desktop task with Orca as the Debian installer does.