Vinux

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Mon Jun 1 07:56:14 EDT 2009

On 01.06.2009 at 13:30:08 Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Tony Baechler, le Mon 01 Jun 2009 04:22:06 -0700, a écrit :
>> If someone could please explain why Vinux is so much better than a
>> mainstream distro and why one should lower their standards to using a
>> special distro primarily for the blind,
>
> My understanding is that it's available _now_ with tweaks here and
> there, not waiting for distributions to properly fix things like e.g.
> orca's reading of root-launched applications.  I do too believe that
> it's not a viable long-term solution.

Exactly! Vinux was a reaction to the fact that more and more complains
arrised about Ubuntu, and the maintainer of Vinux does not intend to
create a special System for the blind. That's a big difference to Oralux
or - the latest one in that family - Adriane.
In addition: There are plans to shift Vinux to be based on Lenny.
The difference to an original Debian or GRML - wich btw. I use - is,
that Vinux, like Ubuntu, comes with Orca and other a11y stuff out of the
box.
Under GRML, for example, you have to do a lot of work to set up Gnome,
Orca and all that stuff. GRML comes with a lot of lightweight window
managers of which non is accessible.
I think we should keep all this in mind when going on with taht thread.
Hermann