Vinux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jun 2 05:00:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

I must disagree here.  Ubuntu already has Orca included on the live CD
and can be accessed either once the CD is booted or from the boot menu
with sighted help.  Perhaps you're saying that the general blind
population would rather use a distro targeted to them, but even then I
would be doubtful.  You don't see a special version of Windows or DOS
for the blind, even though there are screen readers that can be
installed.  I was independently able to boot and use the Ubuntu live CD
and start Orca, although I did read posts here and at various other
places first.  My point is that I'm really not sure that most blind
people need or want a specialized distro and Ubuntu still fills the need
for an accessible live CD.  This doesn't count grml, which also has
software speech included and can be booted independently.  Finally,
although Vinux is gaining in popularity, it still isn't that popular and
is still relatively early in its development.

My great concern about projects such as Oralux and Vinux are that the
mainstream developers, as well as other Linux users, will assume that no
effort should be wasted in making their particular distro accessible
because Vinux is already designed for the blind, so the blind should
just use that.  Before the release of Debian Lenny, there was discussion
on the various Debian lists from developers trying to understand why
Speakup should be included as part of the installer.  Apparently quite a
few people think that the blind should be relegated to their own special
accessible CD image, leaving the regular CD images completely
inaccessible.  As Samuel has pointed out, while a special CD image isn't
all bad because of the overhead of software speech, it adds lots of
extra confusion for the potential blind user who really doesn't know
what to download.  I recently had a similar experience with Ubuntu, and
I've been involved with Linux since 2000.  It took a long time before I
could find the x86-64 standard Ubuntu CD image.  Ubuntu doesn't have a
special accessible image because it isn't necessary.  I had no problem
booting it and running Orca manually.  I can't imagine how much more
difficult it would be for someone with no Linux knowledge and perhaps
very little technical knowledge generally.  Getting back to the original
point, I guess that's where Vinux might be useful, there is no thought
required in trying to figure out what distro to use.  However, one
should, in an ideal world, be able to download any CD image of any
distro and have accessibility included with no worries of whether it's a
special distro for the blind or not.