Speakup with speech-dispatcher and Dectalk or other -generic modules

Garry Turkington garrys.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 20:39:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

After living with an old speakup 2.x install for an age I finally got
around to building an up-to-date Ubuntu install.  I've got Orca working
with gnome-speech but also want speakup for terminal access.

Since I want to use either Dectalk or Cepstral voices I've configured
speech-dispatcher/speechd-up and can get it to work fine with espeak.  But
when I try to use the dtk-generic module I get no speech via spd-say.

At first it appeared to be an Alsa/OSS thing as I think speech-dispatcher
was locking /dev/dsp and the Dectalk libraries seem to want to talk to it
directly via OSS.  So I switched speech-dispatcher to use OSS and the
conflict is gone in that while speech-dispatcher is configured with espeak
I can successfully use the Dectalk command line say utility.  But when I
try and move to the dtk-generic module I get nothing.

Plainly there's some incantation I'm missing here -- does anyone know it?

I'll move onto Cepstral Swift after hopefully resolving this -- currently
just loading the Swift module kills speech-dispatcher...

Thanks,
Garry

--
Garry Turkington