problems with newer Speakup

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 28 19:35:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, William Hubbs wrote:

> Adam, I believe I found this,  There was a flag that was set in the
> driver that was having speakup insert a space when sending to the
> synthesizer after a punctuation symbol.

That seems to have done the trick, though I suspect I know why the space
was being inserted originally.  Now, while contractions are spoken the way
they should be, email addresses are spoken without the periods.  This only
happens when reading with the plus key, or letting Speakup automatically
read the screen.  When reading with the 4 and 6 keys, that is, word by
word, the default reading punctuation level is apparently higher, as
punctuation characters are all read.  As far as I am concerned, this is an
acceptable trade off.  Those broken-up contractions were driving me crazy!
However, if this really bugs somebody, it might be better to have spaces
inserted only in certain situations.  That is, only if a period or at sign
is between two letters.