problems with newer Speakup

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 26 21:08:21 EDT 2009

Hi.  Well, I finally got around to testing the changes in Speakup that
were made last Monday.  To make a long story short, the results were
disastrous!  I am using a Dectalk USB in RS-232 mode.  Thus, I use the
speakup_dectlk module.  I discovered that it works fine with small amounts
of text, but the computer locks hard once a large block of text has to be
read.  For example, when I logged in and started alpine to read email, the
system suddenly became unresponsive, and just kept reading the main menu.
After that, I had to do a hard power-off.  In another attempt, I got as
far as opening an email before it locked up.  In short, whatever this
change involved, it made Speakup unusable for me.  I ended up reverting
back to the previous version.  What I can't understand is why nobody else
noticed this, especially since the change has been in place for almost a
week.