Trying to come back?

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Jul 9 17:40:41 EDT 2009

Hello,
I think people have covered most of the things I would say, but there
are a few things left (I think).

Most people seem to say about using speech-dispatcher for other synths
and this is generally the only way other synths can be used, however if
you choose the viavoice synth (either as voxin or ttsynth) then there is
a speakup connector for it available at the ttsynth website (the
connector is freely available and is under an open source license). This
connector I believe uses ALSA for audio output.

If you wish to stick with an entirely free system then I feel espeak and
espeakup are the best out there. You may wish to have a look at all the
voices available (eg. you may find the female versions better, or you
may find one of the other accents better, or may be even one of the
other varients).

As for installing extra software on GRML, just use the standard debian
packages, GRML is meant to follow debian's standards and actually uses
debian's repositories for some of its packages. The system I am using to
write this email is running GRML and I installed gnome onto it from
debian's repositories. As suggested, you may wish to change it to use
testing or you may want to install plain debian by using grml-debootstrap.

Michael Whapples