Trying to come back?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 9 08:42:21 EDT 2009

Hi Joe! Welcome back.  We've missed you around here.

You can use speech-dispatcher with quite a few different synths on
grml or debian and ubuntu.  Some of them are commercial so they cost a
small amount depending on the synth.  Some of them sound better than
espeak also.  However, none of the speech-dispatcher synths will give
you the responsiveness of espeakup with espeak.  So you'll need to
make a choice between quality of speech and response.  I myself use
espeakup/espeak exclusively anymore and have become pretty comfortible
with many of the espeak voices.  espeak has quite a few different
accents you can play with to get a better idea of it's capability so
you may find one you like or can tolerate.

I'm really sorry to hear about the fire but am very glad to hear about
the new family.  Good luck with your set-up and again welcome back.
   Kirk
phone: (519) 661-3061