Why we want gui [Was: speakup is nice]

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Jan 28 12:47:43 EST 2009

Hello,
As you say Janina people do need the best for them. Sighted people may
gain from all the graphical features of a GUI, and I do gain some
improvements in certain areas when using gnome (eg. structural
navigation with orca in firefox), but for other tasks I am certainly
faster in a text console with speakup (may be thats because I am a good
typist and at times orca can also be quite slow to respond even though
it is improving). What is really needed is choice, and Linux and all the
tools for it do give me choice. This is why I like Linux so much, I can
choose what environment is right for me to do particular tasks (my
choices may not be the same as yours, but you are free to make your
own).

Michael Whapples