Why we want gui [Was: speakup is nice]

James Homuth james at the-jdh.com
Wed Jan 28 09:41:21 EST 2009

If I'm sitting in front of a machine, I generally prefer a GUI. Not so much
because of any visual ability, per say. But rather, because doing certain
things via a GUI is often times faster. Plus, there's times when I just
plain don't feel like entering half a dozen different commands just to
accomplish changing a setting or two. I know it's not a real example, but
I'll use it anyway. If I want to increase the volume on a friend's computer
because I can barely hear it, I shouldn't have to remember that I can't just
do "echo 4 > /proc/volume" like I can on my system, for example.