speakup is nice

Glenn Ervin GlennErvin at cableone.net
Tue Jan 13 20:59:56 EST 2009

Hi Terry,
    I started with DOS, and hated Windows, because it was so inaccessible
for so long.
Then I started into Linux with SpeakUp, and found it to work well, but it
involves a lot of typing.
Nothing wrong with typing, as I can type about 45 words per minute.
Now, along with windows, I use Ubuntu, with Orca, and although I use the
terminal a good deal of the time, I prefer the GUI.
It has nothing to do with sight.  People seem to think that the GUI  is a
sighted thing.  Actually, it is easier for us too, as we can do much with
less typing.

The only thing I have against SpeakUp is the weird keyboard navigation keys.
I think that the mapping that JFW uses is much more intuitive.

But I have to say that Speakup is otherwise a great product for us to have.

Glenn