speakup is nice

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Tue Jan 13 19:00:17 EST 2009

> I think it's not said often enough. Speakup is really, really nice.

	If it weren't for SpeakUP, I wouldn't even be on the computer.
Windows without JAWS or one of the other $1000 screen readers doesn't do
it for me.  I use NVDA for my Windows screen reader, and it's still not
very supportive of mIRC or Thunderbird, and my experiences on the web
leave everything to be desired.  The same pretty-much goes for Orca, at
least in Debian, where half the time it doesn't even start, let alone
work consistantly.  SpeakUP is my primary screen reader, and now that I
know about edbrowse, the web has actually become fun to surf again.
After two days using edbrowse with SpeakUP, I can get around the web far
faster than I can with Orca or links/links2.  SpeakUP is the ONLY thing
keeping me in contact with the outside world out here, and I can't thank
Kirk and everyone enough for making it all possible.
	I am going to go out out on a semi-off-topic limb here and tell
the people here having problems navigating the wiki pages for SpeakUP
documentation to start using edbrowse.  Run the configuration script in
the examples directory.  Learn the z, g, i, and macros commands included
when you run the setup script.  Try using edbrowse for a couple days and
you'll ditch firefox and  any other web browser out there.  If you're
like me and only use the GUI for firefox, you may never leave SpeakUP
and the command line again.  SpeakUP and a scriptable web browser
written for the blind is a godsend.  The "gg" and "wk" search macros
make it a breeze to find things again.

PS: If you like edbrowse as much as I do, convince Karl to make a
Shift+Enter, "Line-Up" key so the thing can be backed up as well as
advanced.  I do miss having navigation keys on this project.

			Michael