Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Jan 12 09:14:50 EST 2009

If you are talking about loading the speakup software synth module
there is a bug on some machines or architectures which lock up the
machine when the module gets loaded.  We have not been able to locate
and fix the bug yet but we are aware of it.  The work around is to
load the module and then a synth in a script or from a remote
connection.  The problem appears to do with the keyboard in some
manner so that any key touch after loading the speakup_soft module
locks it up tight.  Logging in with ssh for example doesn't do it
however.  On other machines the problem doesn't exist at all.  Go
figure!

   Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061