looking for a set of applications

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Jan 12 02:47:12 EST 2009

You can use squint to do the logging from the squid logs
You can use iptables to force all machines through the proxy server.
It is called transparent proxy.
In short, you make your squid box the gateway needed by all machines on
your internal network to go out to the world.
Any requests to port 80 is grabbed and forwarded to the proxy server.
Although you can block some sites using acls in squid, setting up squint
justs show in a nice web page where every machine went and how long it
staied on a particular site.
If your gran can read that and the rest of the family knows that she can,
they might refrane from visiting sites she would not like.
HTH, Willem