Joe Kamphaus joe at joekamphaus.net
Sun Jan 11 23:23:40 EST 2009

I am using debian lenny with kernel 2.6.26-1-686 with the speakup modules package for the same.
I am using the software synthesizer with speech-dispatcher and speechd-up.
My system crashes causing keyboard to lock up when I use modprobe to load them from the command line.

The strange thing is... I can open X-Windows and load the modules in xterm or rxvt and exit X-Windows and speakup works great.  I have tried init script to no avail either.  Seems that the only way I can get speakup to work is by loading them from xterm.

What can I do?

Joe Kamphaus of LinuxSpeaks
[http://www.joekamphaus.net] www.joekamphaus.net
[http://www.joeandwilma.com]