Problem with speakup software synthesis if speechd-up or espeakup not running

Alastair Irving alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 18:21:19 EST 2009

Hi All

I'm running speakup on a gentoo system under vmware, kernel version
2.6.27-gentoo-r8, and the gentoo speakup ebuild which is revision
2008.08.02.  I use the software synthesis module.

Everything is generally working fine, however, if I do anything that
would cause speakup to speak when either speechd-up or espeakup is not
running, (even just pressing a single key), the whole system crashes.  I
assume its some kind of kernel pannic, I can no longer read the screen
with brltty, or SSH in, or do anything, (so I don't know if any errors
are printed to the screen at this point).  This is rather annoying as to
start speakup I have to use sSSH to modprobe speakup_soft and load
espeakup.  Once I've done this I can use the system normally and it
speaks.  Similarly, before shutting down the system I have to SSH in,
and unload espeakup and modprobe -r speakup_soft.  Otherwise, if I
shutdown, espeakup is unloaded and then presumably speakup tries to say
something and everything hangs.

I've looked in the syslog after rebooting, but no errors are shown.

Has anyone else experienced this?  It seems rather bizarre and I don't
know what to try to resolve it.

Many thanks

Alastair Irving