debian lenny and sound card

Zachary Kline klinez at onid.orst.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:10:39 EST 2009

Hi Keith,
    I'm running Lenny under Qemu virtualization.
    It does not use Jack for sound, so far as I'm aware.  It just uses basic
Alsa.
    Since I'm running Qemu with emulated generic hardware, it was enough for
me to let Udev and the kernel autodetect my card.  I didn't have to run
alsaconf or any other such utility, just alsamixer and/or amixer to change
sound volumes and such.
    I can't speak to your specific situation.  For the record, I didn't back
out of the installer but just told it to only install the base system
without any GUI.  That includes kernel modules.  I can't specifically
remember whether Alsa was installed along with it or not.  I may have
aptituded it.  After doing so, it just worked.
    I hope this long-winded explaination is somehow helpful.
Best,
Zack.