debian lenny and sound card

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 17:01:18 EST 2009

I am about to start trying to get sound working on my debian lenny box.

Wondering about the best way to achieve this.  I am working from the
command line so after installing the base system, I backed out of the
install and just used apt-get to get the packages I wanted.

I have been googling but have found a howto using alsa but I note from
one of the lists, possibly this one that lenny is using jack for sound.
Is this for the command line?

The howto was for an older version of debian.

I would consider installing gnome and orca if this would make things
less complicated but I think I was really only want the gui for browsing
the net and I am not sure that orca is solid enough yet.

So, should I use this alsa howto or is there a better way?

Thanks and sorry for the list clutter but not many howto's out there for
lenny yet.

Keith