Can I join the dev team for a while?

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:01:39 EST 2009

> First, a minor
> bug needs fixing to compile on Lucid.  Just add:
> #include <linux/sched.h>
> To speakup_soft.c.  This allows it to compile properly on Lucid.

I take it that Lucid uses a 2.6.32 kernel?
This is fixed in git.  I posted about it three weeks ago.

> If espeakup is installed, it takes over the sound card, and
> pulseaudio wont even start.  I'd like to figure out a way to get
> speakup to play nicely with Gnome/pulseaudio.  I'm confident it's
> doable.

I don't know much about pulseaudio, but I do know that eSpeak has a
pulseaudio backend.  You'll need to compile eSpeak with pulseaudio support,
rather than portaudio.  Next, rebuild Espeakup.
I'm blissfully ignorant of pulseaudio.  I've never tried
this strategy, but in theory, it will work.

-- Chris