Can I join the dev team for a while?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:30:03 EST 2009

I'd like to get involved in speakup for just a while.  I want to
release a version of Vinux based on Ubuntu Lucid, and speakup is a
critical component.  Right now, speakup conflicts with pulseaudio, and
doesn't coexist cleanly on a default Ubuntu machine.  First, a minor
bug needs fixing to compile on Lucid.  Just add:

#include <linux/sched.h>

To speakup_soft.c.  This allows it to compile properly on Lucid.

There are some basic problems when dealing with pulseaudio.  First, it
doesn't even run until the user logs into Gnome.  I'm unsure how sound
is generated before that, but I do know it's not reliable.  On
multiple installs of Ubuntu Karmic, I find that the login screen is
silent.  If espeakup is installed, it takes over the sound card, and
pulseaudio wont even start.  I'd like to figure out a way to get
speakup to play nicely with Gnome/pulseaudio.  I'm confident it's
doable.
Thanks,
Bill