Questions about DOS (sorry if off-topic)

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Aug 26 21:51:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 03:44:50PM -0400, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
> For the record, I've never used unix or Linux.

	Well, if you like 4DOS, imagine UNIX/Linux as 4DOS on steroids,
adrenaline, and crank. <grins> I took one good look at the bash shell
prompt and have never looked back.  There is absolutely no comparison.
4DOS doesn't hold a candle to the UNIX shell's batch processing
capabilities.  Imagine an operating system that will run a batch file
before, during, and after making a 56K modem connection just for
starters, not to mention init, Linux's autoexec.bat and config.sys
system that not only is already set up for you to run just about
everything you can find in Linux (over 20,000 software packages for both
the CLI and the GUI), but will also shut down the system for you
properly.  Imagen a system with different run levels so you can boot
multiple configurations.  Imagine having the utilities to write one line
of script that will modify 2500 web pages for you in a couple seconds,
however you want them modified, and be able to make the command what is
called a "cron job" that can be run for you at any time or date.  Great
if you want to automatically switch your website over to xmas
decorations on December 1st, and back again to the way it was on January
1st.  Imagine a web interface called wget that can go and get a web page
from Yahoo Finance, trace down individual page links for stock prices,
extract those prices and input them into an SQL database for you, and
wake each morning to find a sorted list of the most profitable stocks on
the market.  Imagine being able to do all this for free, and being able
to upgrade *ALL* of your software with a single command.  No hunting
around the internet for new versions of your programs or their bug
fixes.  Linux has a steep learning curve for a reason.  It's a true
multiuser, server quality, supercomputer operating system that's about
as complete as it's possible to make it.

	I truly understand why you love DOS, but if you take a look at
Linux and read only a few of the hundreds of available documents on it,
like me, you may ditch DOS in a heartbeat.

				Michael

--
Linux User: 177869                                           Powered by Intel