Testing a synthesizer

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Thu Aug 13 13:59:53 EDT 2009

The idea of using dmesg is an excellent one. But you will need to run
it with sudo unless you have a root password set up and can run it as
su.

Also, check to see if you have a /de/tty.usbserial.
It is true that some devices are supported in the kernel; the two usb-
seial cables i've used have to have drivers but you might have hit on
one that doesn't require a driver. What's tricky here is that the
brand name of the cable doesn't necesssarily match with the name of
the actual cable sometimes. for instance, my prolific cable actually
is the cable sold by several different vendors. My keyspan, on the
other hand, is definitely keyspan.

--

Cheryl
"Let the words of my mouth,