Dectalk Express synthesizer question

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 01:08:09 EDT 2009

> wondering if anyone can tell me what I need?  I read somewhere that the
> Serial cable for the Dectalk is proprietary thus I would run in to a real
> snag finding one, can anyone confirm this?  Or does it use just your
> standard 9-pin male/female or 25-pin male/female serial connector?  Also the
> adapter...can anyone tell me if 12 volts, 400-500 MA regulated current
> sounds right?  Can anyone tell me what type of connector size it uses or if

The serial cable is an odd-ball.  Its two plugs look like
the RJ-45 plugs used with twisted pair ethernet cables, but I don't think
that they are true RJ-45 plugs.
The cable should come with an adapter that allows you to plug the unit
into a 9-pin serial port.

I have a DECTalk Express, but its completely dead.  It won't even run on
batteries.  I might be able to send you a cable.

Not sure about the AC adapter.  It is a monstrous, brick-like growth of
a wall-wart, and it will take up space on your power strip!  I have one
of these as well.

-- Chris