Dectalk Express synthesizer question

Cory Martin cory_martin at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 28 00:41:23 EDT 2009

            Hello listers,

            I am relatively new to Linux and am just beginning my journey in
to it and am looking at aquiring a hardware synthesizer which will be
suitable.  In fact my first task is to try and get the System Rescue CD
distribution talking, as I start a new job as a hardware tech in a week and
a half or so and really need some kind of hardware diagnostics tool at my
disposal.  As this is compiled with Speakup included I thought it would be
perfect, except that it doesn't support the Keynote Gold SA speech
synthesizer which is what I have.  So now I'm looking for a nice cheap used
Dectalk Express synthesizer and am fortunate enough to have found one on an
online auction.  The synthesizer is being sold by some bulk electronics
dealer who I believe aquires used items and pushes them back out as online
auctions, however my problem is that the Dectalk Express I'm buying comes
iwth nothing except itself.  No cables, no adaptor, no disks, no manual,
nothing, and its not even garanteed to be working, so obviously its quite a
risk.  However paying $50 including shipping is far preferable to be then
spending hundreds for another Dectalk even if I could find one, however I am
wondering if anyone can tell me what I need?  I read somewhere that the
Serial cable for the Dectalk is proprietary thus I would run in to a real
snag finding one, can anyone confirm this?  Or does it use just your
standard 9-pin male/female or 25-pin male/female serial connector?  Also the
adapter...can anyone tell me if 12 volts, 400-500 MA regulated current
sounds right?  Can anyone tell me what type of connector size it uses or if
the center is positive or negative?  I'm assuming that the center is
posative.  I realize this is off topic from Speakup directly however I
really need help and figured that someone on this list would likely still be
using a Dectalk Express and would be technical enough to be able to answer
my questions.  Also if anyone has the manual and could forward it to me off
list that would be awesome as I can't find it online anywhere it seems.  I
really would appreciate a speedy reply as I pretty much have a day and a
half before this item is no longer available and I need to decide by them if
I should snag it or if I would be banging my head against the wall by the
week's end trying to find appropriate cables and such for it.

Thanks for your help,

Cory