ltlk issue again

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sun Apr 19 18:25:52 EDT 2009

Hi all.

I used git to get speakup and installed it in the kernel source for
the 2.6.29 downloaded from debian. I compiled
using make-kpkg and installed the .deb package. I do
have an initrd in case that makes a difference. The ltlk (for my
doubletalk lt) parameter was added to my kernel line in the menu.lst. It
boots fine but unfortunately i still get the error about too many timeouts
and even if I manage to turn speakup off while booting speakup is
deactivated; i have no speech
and can't turn it back on again once I am booted. My full_time setting
does show 40000. Is there any more I can do about this? I suppose I can
just go back to using speakup with espeakup as a module but then I don't
hear boot information from the beginning and besides, laugh if you like,
but i have a fondness for the old doubletalk lt. I know it always did have
some problems with stopping during boot at some point but I always used to
be able to start it up again. Any suggestions would be appreciated both
for solving this problem and any way of reactivating it. I compiled into
the kernel rather than using modules.

Tia.

--
Cheryl