Accessibility of netbooks

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 18 15:23:45 EDT 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> Also you should update the journal commit time to reduce wear on the flash
> disk, this can be done with ext3 by adding
> commit=30 to the mount options for the root fs, or by installing laptop-tools
> which can take care of this.

I thought it was a good idea to format a flash disk as EXT2 rather than
EXT3, in order to minumize the wear.  As I understand it, the technology
has a very limited life span compared to modern hard drives.  This is the
big thing that is keeping solid-state drives from replacing hard drives.
Once this is solved, I believe that all computers will eventually go to
some sort of solid-state drive.  You eliminate moving parts, and I would
think, should be able to eventually get tremendous speed out of such
devices.