Accessibility of netbooks

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 16 06:39:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:06:01AM +0100, Alastair Irving wrote:
> Hi All

Hi,

> I'm considering purchasing a netbook.  The 2 main ones which run linux
> seem to be  the Asus Eee Pc and the Acer Aspire One.  I was wondering if

Yes, there is a debian wiki dedicated to the asus.

> anyone on list has any experience of these.  They both run custom linux
> distros, so I would like to know how possible it is to get accessibility
> related software to run on them, i.e. speakup, brltty, emacspeak and

I'm thinking of buying one. Yes, don't bother with the custom distro,
install debian-eeepc or ubuntu... Debian eeepc from memory supports
brltty in the installation. Emacspeak should work. Speakup, I guess
there should be modules around, and no reason why orca shouldn't work.