Further info on apollo bug with speakup

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Apr 15 12:15:55 EDT 2009

Hello,
Recently I reported that speakup stops talking for me when using my
apollo. I still haven't quite found the exact cause of it but have at
least found a situation which seems to cause it quite regularly.

If when I boot my system I wait until speakup starts talking and then
press numpad enter to silence it (I really should set speakup.quiet to
save on doing this) and wait for my system to load. It automatically
goes to the gnome login screen as I have gnome on this machine. I then
login to gnome and wait for orca to load and may be do a little bit of
stuff there (eg. load thunderbird for getting my emails). I then decide
I want to do something in the console so switch to tty0 and start to
type to login on tty0. I would expect here I would have speakup echoing
my typing but I get nothing, and screen review does nothing. Anyway if I
look at the output of dmesg I find the message about Apollo: too many
timeouts, deactivating speakup.

When I said this seems to happen regularly I mean that for the last four
power ups it has happened three of the times like that and the one when
it didn't I actually switched to tty0 before logging into gnome,
although I did notice a slight delay in speakup talking when I started
to type to login to tty0.

Does this help at all in working out what the bug is? Is there anything
else I can do to try and find out the exact situation under which this
occurs?

Michael Whapples