Which hardware synthesizer to buy?

Nick Stockton nstockton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 18:46:35 EDT 2009

If you want a new hardware synth, your choices are: the DoubleTalk LT for
$200, the TrippleTalk USB for $500 or the DecTalk USB for $700.
The DoubleTalk and TrippleTalk both use the same RC8650 chipset and they
should sound like your LiteTalk.
Since speakup doesn't support USB connections to the synth, if you get a
TrippleTalk USB or DecTalk USB you will need to run the synth in serial mode
and connect it to the computer using a serial cable.
I wouldn't go with the DecTalk USB unless you really like DecTalk speech.
The DecTalk is very pricy and the DoubleTalk and TrippleTalk synths are more
responsive and tend to be better supported by speakup.
Kerk will have to comment here but I think I remember him saying he was
using a TrippleTalk.

Nick Stockton