new OCR project for Linux!

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Thu Apr 2 04:32:14 EDT 2009

I have tested cuneiform and here are my findings.
It is very fast compared to ocropus.
It has a slightly funny way of building, but it built quite easaly under
Ubuntu.
Although it is suppose to be able to use any imagemagick supported image
file when compiled with the imagemagick dev files installed, it segfaults
on images with an 8 bit format.
I got around that by changing the bit depth using pngcp in my case.
I did a few tests and got some very good and some very bad results
compared to ocropus.
Once the bit depth problem was sorted out, I used the test image files
from ocropus alice_1 to alice_9.png and it ocred them without any errors.
As said before, cuneiform is fast.
I will do more testing and then might modify my ocr front-end software
which is
released as part of kies, to include this engine as an alternative to
ocropus.
Kind regards, Willem