Speakup_dectlk module under 2.6.26-1-686 on Debian Sid

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Sep 29 15:24:03 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:52:25AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> I would like to add that it's not just Speakup keys, it's all speech.
> If I just hit Enter with no command, there is still the same delay
> before I hear the prompt repeated.

Hmmm, interesting, ok.

> Also, one very annoying thing that
> zsh does is repeat the first key back to me, so "ls" becomes "lls" etc.

This is a zsh issue, and shows up on every livecd with zsh that I've
used so far, so it's not a sysresccd problem.

> OK but how?  The Speakup info page tells me to use quiet=1 because
> speech starts before keyboard support.  Therefore, by the time I hit a
> key and hear speech, it's well into the boot process.  I could turn off
> quiet mode but I understand speech won't shut up until some time later
> when keyboard support is activated.  That's why I can't be more clear on
> where the problem starts, I was following the instructions on the info
> page.

As the speakup-info page states, those instructions are true only when
using sysresccd 0.3.7, they don't apply to sysresccd 1.1.x and later.

> OK, my apologies.  I got my CDs mixed up.  I haven't tried the System
> Rescue CD with the Doubletalk LT.  That was the grml CD that had a
> slight delay but I think that's in the Doubletalk firmware.  I forgot
> that I hadn't tried the rescue CD.  I can try it if it would help.

We aren't aware of problems when using the doubletalk lt. However, the
more software is tested under different conditions, the better for the
user base. So, if you'd like to test with it, and report on whatever
you find or don't find, you are certainly welcome to do so.

> Also, not that it matters, but the machine with my DEC Express only has
> 256 MB of RAM and is a fairly slow processor.  I don't have a problem on
> the same machine with the same synth in Debian or grml though.

I don't see how that could matter, so you're probably right that it doesn't.

> I have no objection to putting my posts on other web sites etc.  I do
> appreciate being told though, so thanks for asking.  In regards to
> licensing, I prefer the BSD license but I'm not going to make an issue
> about it.  I'm not planning on enforcing any legal rights regarding my
> posts anyway since they're already in a public archive.  I realize that
> I'm far from perfect and want people to have the right to correct my
> mistakes if they have better or more correct information.  Again, thanks
> for asking first.

Well, I'm not going to add anything to the speakup-info page, until we
know if this problem exists in 1.1.1 beta or not, and until we know if
the doubletalk lt is effected or not. I will let you know privately if
I do post any of your comments though, and thanks for agreeing to
it.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org