OT: sane, tesseract and canoscan lide 60

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Sep 29 09:54:53 EDT 2008

Hi all.

I'm hoping some of you are using tesseract and can help me with this. I
was pleasantly supprised to find that using sane (scanimage in particular)
and tesseract I actually could get some legible material. Envelopes have a
lot of extraneous stuff in the .txt file for me; bills and statements have
some, and pages from books remarkably seem to only have a few extra or
wrong characters here and there. As this is one of the few things I still
do in Windows, I'm really encouraged by this but I do have some problems.

1. I can only scan as root; if I try to scan as a normal user, it's
claimed my scanning device can't be found. I've googled this and can't
find the answer but is there perhaps just a group to which I need to
belong to have access?

2. I don't see any indication that my canoscan lide 60 is actually
supported although it at least appears to work when I use it as root. I
found by googling one old email that told what to put in a file to make
sure my scanner was recognized appropriately, but the instructions talked
about a file that no longer exists since the hierarchy, at least in
debian, has changed. There are .conf files for various scanners including
some Canon ones but not for mine. Is there something I should use that's
already there or something I should add that would improve performance and
make sure the scanner is calibrated correctly or, since it does appear to
be working, is this unnecessary?

Tia.

--
Cheryl