Speakup_dectlk module under 2.6.26-1-686 on Debian Sid

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Sep 28 06:31:43 EDT 2008

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> can you please confirm whether the problems you're seeing match what
> has been described at:
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Speakup-info#Speakup_Errata_in_SystemRescueCD_1.1.0
>
> The gentleman that reported this problem hasn't given us an update on
> the issue in sysresccd 1.1.1 beta, and I don't have a dectalk express
> to test with. If you can confirm that the problem is in fact the same
> one, then we'll know that this is a speakup issue, rather than a
> sysresccd issue. As of now, the problem report we have at the above
> url suggests that this could be a problem with either sysresccd, or
> speakup. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Hi,

I didn't look at the above url, but I do use a DEC Express and I did
burn and test the 1.1 beta 20 CD, at least I think it was beta 20.  I
had no problem with getting speech to work, but there was definitely
sluggish behavior when using the screen review keys.  I'm guessing that
there was a delay of about a second from when I hit a key to when I got
speech.  I don't have that problem with Debian using various kernels on
different machines.  On the other hand, I had the same behavior with a
Doubletalk LT and the same System Rescue CD, so I think it's a problem
with the CD itself.  I also had no problem with grml 1.1rc1 using both
synths on different processors, although software speech abruptly
stopped on a machine I was using.  On Debian, I am using my custom
2.6.24 kernel and the 2.6.25-2-686 kernel package.  I haven't upgraded
to 2.6.26 yet.  With the Shane Etch CD using 2.6.18, I also noticed a
slight delay in getting speech feedback but I figured that was because I
was running from CD.