Speakup and server hardware

Jim Kutsch jimkutsch at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 17:46:42 EDT 2008

Dan,
I had a surplus Dell Poweredge server and was attempting to install Fedora 9
on it.  The Poweredge RAID hardware caused great problems.  A quick Google
search revealed that there are custom drivers that are needed for some
Poweredge RAID controllers.  It was going to be more  hassle than I wanted
with a need to build my own kernels and add the RAID driver every time an
update came out.  I gave up and went to different hardware.

If your Poweredge already has Linux, you may be beyond this issue but if you
are just starting, watch for this one.  The install actually went fine but
the system crashed on boot.  This had nothing to do with Speakup, it was
straight Fedora 9 without Speakup.

Jim