State of accessibility on BSD systems

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Sep 20 05:40:56 EDT 2008

Cleverson wrote:
> Is there any blind user that uses FreeBSD for personal dayly
> productivity?
> Is it possible to install it without sighted assistance?

Hi,

I used to use FreeBSD often until the power supply fried.  It was
impossible to install without sighted help.  Once installed, I had to
access it with ssh.  There are supposed to be screen readers that work
under BSD but they didn't work for me.  You might have better luck with
Gnome as they offer it in the ports collection and I think they include
Orca.  In general, FreeBSD isn't even close to being accessible.  That's
a real shame because it would be nice for blind people to have a choice
and it is better at some things than Linux.  I also prefer the BSD
license but that's another discussion.  If you can get sighted help and
don't mind doing everything with ssh, it's fine and works as well as
Linux with ssh.  If you want to actually use the console, forget it.