Speakup Parameters Still Broke

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Wed Oct 22 10:28:12 EDT 2008

Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> writes:

> However while using the softsynth plus
> espeakup 0.3, I do get a strange deal.  When doing a 'speakupconf
> load', I get the fore-mentioned cat error followed by a drastic
> reduction in pitch and rate.

I don't get any errors from cat during speakupconf load.  Are you sure
that you don't have two copies of Speakup installed?

I do have a different problem when using a version of espeakup that is
not the latest.  Here's a typical interaction.

echo 2 > ~/.speakup/soft/rate # force rate to 2.
speakupconf load

Speakup continues to speak at rate 9, even though
/sys/modules/speakup/parameters/rate now contains the value 2.

This is fixed if I compile espeakup from the latest sources.  Espeakup
is exhibiting some undefined behavior when it receives commands that
it doesn't understand.  Speakup sends a "set punctuation" command during
speakupconf load.  William recently added support for that command to
espeakup, but previous versions don't understand it.
Some of the rate and pitch issues with speakupconf load will go away if
you compile espeakup from git.

HTH,
-- Chris