Boot Parameters with Debian

John covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Sat Oct 18 23:41:42 EDT 2008

I think you would bet better results with the git sources, this way
you can either build in the speakout module (you will still need the
boot parameter), or modprobe the softsynth module in /etc/modules and
it will work much better.  Also, 2.6.27 kernel will integrate better
-- at least this is what I understand -- in Ubuntu it seems as though
speakup can be installed in 2.6.27 and it is seamless.

Hope this helps.

on Saturday 10/18/2008 Steve Holmes(steve at holmesgrown.com) wrote

 > Well this might call for a little egg on my face:).  I didn't realize
 > I needed to load both modules at the same time to be able to switch
 > between them.  I always thought echoing the synth name would cause the
 > 'modprobe speakup_spkout start=0' while softsynth was running and then
 > was able to toggle back and forth with the talkwith script.  I
 > experimented earlier with modprobing of speakup_soft without any
 > special paramaters and my machine appeared to lockup entirely so at
 > that point I was a bit nervous about loading additional speakup
 > modules.
 >
 > In the past (before 2.6.22), I was used to having spkout hard coded
 > into the kernel and loading softsynth via modules and could always
 > switch between them.  Now that speakup is completely modular, I wasn't
 > exactly sure how things worked.
 >
 > Thanks to both Chuck and Tony for the latest help here.
 >
 > My one remain point of clarification then is concerning the softsynth
 > module.  If I wanted to load software speech first and use either
 > espeakup connector or speechd-up, do I need to always start the module
 > with start=0 and then get espeakup or speechd-up loaded as soon as
 > possible there after? When I had tried loading soft without specifying
 > that, I had experienced lock-ups as mentioned earlier.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         covici at ccs.covici.com