Subject: Re: New Debian Install - HELP!

Erik Heil eheil at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Oct 11 12:13:47 EDT 2008

Hi their,
If you want to get into a shell, normally its available on the second
VC--at least in in Etch, and I'd assume lenny as well, its a Busybox
implementation.  That is of particular concern to you because its an
extremely restricted environment.  e.g. you are restricted to what
functions are built into the binary.  Just something that you may want to
be aware of.  When in the Busybox shell, typically you're installed system
is mounted under /target or something similar.  So what you end up having
is an extremely limited environment in which to perform system tasks.  Its
intended to be used in situations where Bash or another shell is not
available either for space considerations, or where you have a very broken
system and you can't access the filesystem where bash is mounted.
--Erik