Subject: Re: New Debian Install - HELP!

Dan Massingale danmass at valornet.com
Sat Oct 11 11:33:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am no expert but I've been working on the same thing for a bit. Seems
that no distros play well together in the boot env. first with Slackware
you know you can get a system booted with speach because that is where
the install starts. So you can always work from  there.

next if you have a debian netinst disk of etch burned use speakup --
rescue as i remember, check the readme for syntax on that one.

or you could also edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change stuff in there, I
always move windows to the last entry on the box with it installed.

I've been successful at getting debian and fedora to boot with grub so
it does actually work. If you use Slackware with the grub there is a bug
where 12.1 doesn't install properly. it will install grub and run
"grub-install hd0" but there is no menu.lst file installed on a fresh
install leaving the install unbootable.At that point I either mount a
different partition with a good menu.lst file and copy it to
/boot/grub/menu.lstthen edit it to suit my needs.  and rerun
grub-install hd0 as I boot from my primary array.  So I have been doing
the same thing you are talking about with reinstalling with a debian
install disc when worse comes to oworse. Hope this helps

Dan