New Debian Install - HELP!

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Oct 11 06:09:02 EDT 2008

Well for now, I have lilo installed but for some reason, it doesn't
work right either.  In the mean time, I booted with my slackware cd,
got into a shell and am trying to run lilo with a chroot to update the
lilo.conf file.  But now I get a faital error about raid_setup.  god
knows what's going on here.  What does raid_setup got to do with lilo?
I haven't knowingly installed any raid.  The difference here is I'm
trying to set up a boot sector on /dev/hda (MBR), Windows runs on
/dev/hda1 and I have Debian installed on /dev/hdb (1 and 2).  System
files and all are in /dev/hdb1.

Bottom line: I can't seem to get a decent boot sector built on the MBR
of /dev/hda so I can't boot into either system on that machine now.

If I want to update things in Debian, is there an easier way other
than starting over every time? When I use the boot disk from Deb, I
always end up in the setup script and am forced to redo all the
partitions.  there's got to be any easier way to do this.  Am I
missing something here?