programm issues--moving files back and forth

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Wed Nov 26 15:06:38 EST 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Tyler Littlefield wrote:

> > > It appears to me as though you are looking at your problems in terms of
> > > solutions, rather than defining the problem and solving the route causes.
[.]
> Most of my problems branch from lack of knowing that this tool was available,
> etc. I try to track down a problem and work from there, in solving the
> problem. I'm not totally sure what the origenal comment was supposed to
> convey.

That rather than solving the current problem, go and find out _why_ the
problem happened.  Was it because of a lack of security?  Secure your
system, and the problem will solve itself, rather than patching over it.
Was it because you're using the wrong mail software for your purposes?
Rather than fighting with your current software to make it fit the
circumstances, find the one which does the job better out of the box.

It's the idea of building on shaky foundations.  It's fine if you know you
are building on shaky foundations, because then you won't build anything
that you expect to last.  However if you are covering cracks with planks
during the construction phase, and then thinking they can support the
house which they were never intended to do, problems will start to pop up
when it's too late to easily and cheaply start over.

That said, it's hard to know what you need when you're just starting out,
and as you say, one can not always be aware of what tools are out there
for a particular task.  However, if you are well able to determine what it
is that you are trying to achieve, you should be able to do some
searching, and find out what tools are available.

If 1,440 files per day are appearing in a directory, and you don't
want them, you can write a cron job to do an rm through that directory on
an hourly basis, and the files will be gone--poof: problem solved.
You have found a solution to the problem, but haven't bothered to figure
out the cause, and solve that instead.
Because checking the process table and a few other things, will probably
tell you that there is a program running once per minute, which creates
a newly-named PID file for itself, and then doesn't clean up when it
unexpectedly crashes.  If you can find that program, and can find out what
it's doing, and check the logs, you'll probably be able to solve the
crash, the program will clean up after itself in future, and poof: problem
solved.  Only now several problems have been solved, including some you
probably didn't know about yet (massively expanding log files, for
example), all because you backtracked the cause, and solved the problem,
not the symptom.
In fact, thinking of this, wasn't it you with a similar situation,
involving cron job problems mailing you empty messages?  You wanted to
stop the messages, or make them go away, and until someone suggested it,
you did not think to figure out and fix the problem with the particular
cron job which was prompting them.  I think that was you.

 I will add, that key to asking for help, is providing all relevant
information during the first iteration of the question.  The information
about your router would have eliminated or quashed the DMZ debate.

What ever the question is, provide the circumstances.  If it's a
networking question particular to your setup, describe your network, and
the devices on it, unless you really are expert enough to describe only
the parts which you are 100% sure are at fault.
If it's a network security question, describe your topology, and what
firewalls, NATs, routers, gateways, bridges, modems, and systems are in
play, and describe what ports you need open and why, if your question
relates to ports.

If you're asking how to mount files on machine A, which are located on
machine B; and further how to edit them in-place: describe the operating
systems, and network relationship, between those two machines, and explain
which machine is to be the host, and which is to be the client.
Re that question, I now believe I understand that the files at issue
are on a Linux host, and you have a Windows client which needs to edit
them.  However I may have that inverted.
The Linux box is outside your network, one presumes on a DHCPed public
address, and the windows client is on an private Class C address behind a
NAT provided by something or other.

If all that is right, then SSHFS isn't going to work, unless someone has
ported it to Windows.  NFS would, and Samba would.
If you don't trust Samba over a public network (and nor should you), then
route it over a tunnel of some kind, such as a VPN (I have suggested
OpenVPN for this, and a search on "samba over openvpn" returns interesting
results), although if you can do it without Samba, that is probably
preferable.

The point is, only you know your full configuration.  You must be able to
figure out _why_ the way you want to do something is a good/the only idea,
or if in fact there is a far simpler arrangement available.
For example: can you edit your files on Linux?  If so, but need to use
Windows to do it for some reason, how about a Windows SSH client
connection into Linux, wherein you can run nano or the like?

I do not pretend to be fully aware of all of the Windows <> Linux file
accessing options, so whether SSHFS has some how been ported, or NFS works
for you, or a Linux fileserver would be better for your situation, or
tunneling Samba is better, I can not really say.
It is so much easier just to answer the question which is asked, but you
run the risk of following advice which may not apply to your situation,
because you did not describe your situation well enough, or did not know
enough to be in that situation yet, in which case you end up hurting
yourself, and thinking that those who answered gave bad advice.

Try to look at every cry for help, as someone who had never heard of your
situation (or you, or your network) might look at it, and anticipate the
questions he would ask.  "Does this line of my question lead to other
questions?"
In so doing, you may realize that you have a deeper issue which, if
rectified, would eradicate your problem.

I'm not trying to set you off on some new and unusual path (E.G. don't try
this at home), but faced with the router you described, I might very well
DMZ a Linux box, put a second NIC in it, and firewall my whole network
through the Linux box, leaving the router as nothing but a modem, only
serving as a bridge between my Linux gateway and the world.  That would
eliminate your file and Samba problem completely, as Samba running on your
internal network, could see the private interfaces of the Windows and
Linux machines, and would be blissfully untouched by the wide world of
crackers just on the other side of the Linux NAT machine.

Regards,

Luke