fedora9 cd images?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Mon Nov 24 14:15:43 EST 2008

Hi there,
I knew I had seen at least bootable cd media for the project. As I said too
I think, the person was looking in the wrong place as to the cost factor.

I agree with Steve about keeping some things around for cd,  after all
Linux is supposed to be something that you can extend even to older
hardware.
More important question though,  is fedora 10 still due out by the end of
the month?  if so, will the speakup modified edition  follow soon after,
if not at the same time?
karen

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Steve is correct. There is no charge for Fedora or for the Speakup
> Modified Fedora, unless you ask for disks to be sent to you. In that
> case, we've used a service called Cheap Bytes to do this. They download
> and burn our images. The cost is minimal.
>
> While the complete distribution is only available on DVD, bootable media
> is available for CD, as well as other installation options such as PXE.
>
> Janina
>
> Steve Holmes writes:
>> Also another thing worth noting, if it is called speakup-modified,
>> that would tell me that it has speakup included.  I have never heard
>> of anyone charging for speakup.  I suppose if speakupmodified.org were
>> to sell hard copies of the DVDs, they could charge a small fee for the
>> media, shipping and handling, Bill, Janina and whoever else is
>> involved in that project could keep the project funded and provide the
>> needed bandwidth with less personal out of pocket expence.
>>
>> As for the CDs being dropped, that does bug me some; I have an old
>> laptop here that I like to run linux on but it doesn't have a DVD
>> reader in it.  I doubt I can find one either.  But then again, Debian
>> comes in its full form at some 31 plus CDs; the same in DVD form would
>> be only 5 or 6 disks.  So I can appreciate the end of the CD coming at
>> that rate but network installers can certainly fit on a single CD and
>> one could be sure that has speakup in it.  That would enable older
>> systems to continue using linux and install such.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 01:31:35PM -0500, Karen Lewellen wrote:
>>> Thanks,
>>> My source was not looking at the howto install information, which I hoped
>>> was the reason.
>>> if fedora 9 is about to be dated, I suppose I had better wait, gives me
>>> more time to read documentation.
>>> While I understand no longer offering the speakup modified edition of
>>> fedora in floppies any more, it seems  odd not to  offer both cd and dvd
>>> images.  Such gives the user more flexibility.
>>> Thanks,