running dedicated servers

Brent Harding bharding at doorpi.net
Mon Nov 17 22:44:07 EST 2008

Hmmm, I think the least expensive way to get something to play around with
or host a few sites is those VPS offerings where they partition a signle
server into many virtual systems each with their own OS and the like. I
think the only thing they don't usually allow is running a custom kernel,
but for hosting websites that wouldn't be necessary anyways. For a little
more money you can get control panels like Direct Admin to set the thing up
to share the IP address you get so each site has its own content. Yes, any
services you run on other ports is based on that address so for example
site1.com port 4000 is the same as site2.com port 4000 assuming that DNS
points them both to one IP address. I would imagine if you added extra IP's
to the plan you'd have to do something to telll the services to only listen
to their specified one, so if a customer forgot it would seem to listen to
all IP's on the box. It's cool that they have these virtual systems around
so a person can test anything they want for the most part without worrying
about a host not having a module you need, and they're not near as expensive
as spending several hundred a month on a dedicated server. I wouldn't host
stuff at home just because Email won't probably work and the fact that one
would run out of bandwidth for personal needs if sites got any bit used on a
regular basis.