running dedicated servers

Tyler Littlefield tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Nov 17 21:52:14 EST 2008

Hello list,
I've started thinking seriously about getting things going in order to rake
in a bit of a proffit.
I don't know a ton, but I know enough to do custom web design, software
development etc on some platforms.
I'd like to make use of that knowledge to start making some cash.
I am lacking in some linux expertees, but I would be really greatful if some
pointers could be tossed my way.
So, past all the talk, here's what I want to do.
I want to set this up as a dedicated server. I'll switch to a real one
eventually, but that's a ways off, and a few checks in my pocket.
I need to be able to do the following (and probably more)
Offer support for managing domains. Not management totally, but if x points
their domain at my system, I need to know it's different from y and serve it
differently. I'm not totally sure how that's done.
My main example would be for websites, and ports. I expect that port a would
be the same as port b for both domains, but I'm not totally sure on that
one. My idea there is to just obtain a static IP, and open ports for a user
as needed, or as alotted.
Second, I need to be able to track bandwidth, and securely send and receive
email.
I know ssl won't be an option until down the road (and I can get a signed
cert), but I need to be able to handle this well and without problems.
Ideas, programs, links, anything would be welcome.
I'm pretty serious about getting this going, so any help is appriciated.
I'd like to take my knowledge and turn it into a hobby, at least. For me
that means I would be able to successfully handle customers, and bring in
enough cash to offset the expenses, and maybe make a few bucks here and
there. On the up side, I'd like to turn it into a source of income.
I think for now, the dedicated server hosting here would be the best route,
until I can afford a better setup. It'll also allow me to familiarize myself
with the setup and how things work before i get a dedicated server and have
everything configured for me.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
email: tyler at tysdomain.com
web: tysdomain-com
Visit for quality software and web design.
skype: st8amnd2005