more stuff about installing from memory stick

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:32:38 EST 2008

Hi Samuel etal,

	You are right, booting fromthe HD with the stick still plugged in, did  attempt to boot the system, but it ran into another problem somewhere and never started speech. I had sighted help for a few minutes there.

	Booting with grml and looking at the /boot/grub/menu.lst shows that grub is configured to mount hd(1,1) as the root of the filesystem, while the actual HD partition that is to be root is "HD(0,1)". I tried editing menu.lst to reflect this, but still got the grub2 error on reboot (this time without the memory stick plugged in).

	Without sighted help, at this point I decided to try rebuilding the memory stick with today's HD-media images to do a re-install (as per the lenny guide). D-I boots and presents the installation menu (with speech). It proceeds as far as step 3 and fails to find an .iso image on the HD (of coursenot, it's on the memory stick). I tried skipping to step #4 to search for a .iso image but it cannot find one, even though the image is there on the stick.

	Am I correct in deducing that the HD-media instyaller is only going to look for the .iso on the HD partitions?

	If so, then which installer should we use to use a .iso on the memory stick? ... or am I missing something obvious to everyone else?

	--terry