programming question

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 12:30:45 EST 2008

"Al Sten-Clanton" <Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net> writes:

> I have these books by way of a farily expensive online service,
> though, and don't think there's a cost-free version of either.

If you don't mind sharing, what is the name of that fairly expensive
online service?

I learned from the "Art of Assembly" book suggested by another poster.
Be warned that the author uses his own "high level" assembler.  It's
nonstandard.  If you learn the basics of assembly from that book, you
should be able to translate that knowledge into the syntax used by the
widely-available assemblers.

A student of Linux assembly might also want to grab a copy of the
asmutils package.  It contains reimplementations of the common Unix
utilities.  Most are small and relatively easy to comprehend.  I have a
program in the collection: uuencode.  I wrote it when I was learning
Linux assembly.
The asmutils use Intel syntax, and they assemble with nasm.

Good luck,
-- Chris