programming question

Al Sten-Clanton Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 11:51:55 EST 2008

I'm in the early stages of learning assembly on my Linux box.  Feel free to
correct me, of course, since I'm a beginner on my Linux box and never did
any assembly programming in DOS.  My understanding is that using

Int 0x80

With the appropriate number in the EAX register (and sometimes things in
other registers) is equivalent to the DOS interrupt routines.

Also, Tyler, thanks for the links.  I rely on two assembly books, "Assembly
Language Step-by-Step: Programming with DOS and Linux, Second Edition," by
Jeff Duntemann, and "Professional Assembly Language," by Richard Blum.  I
now mostly use Blum's book, because it covers more instructions and because
it uses the GNU assembler instead of NASM.  (I much prefer the AT&T syntax
to Intel's.) I have these books by way of a farily expensive online service,
though, and don't think there's a cost-free version of either.  (I do
believe there's at least a separate electronic version of Blum's book that
you can buy.) Blum's book sometimes contains poor explanations, so I hope I
may get some additional help from one or more of the links.

Al