backup apparently not working

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Nov 8 15:11:33 EST 2008

Tyler,

How about replacing those tilde characters with the explicit home
information? e.g., /home/username/valiant, etc.

On the redirection, many commands produce output to both stdout and to
stderr. When you use > /dev/null, you are only redirecting stdout, not
stderr. To redirect both, use their file handles like this:

command arg1 arg2 1>/dev/null 2>&1

The 1 means stdout, but is assumed if omitted. The 2 means stderr, and
ampersand 1 means "the address of 1". So you are redirecting 1 to null,
and 2 to the same place.

HTH

Chuck