backup apparently not working

Tyler Littlefield tyler at tysdomain.com
Sat Nov 8 14:41:38 EST 2008

Hello,
I was kinda rushed with the last message.
First, I'm running the script from command line:
./backup.sh
the line in the script works great, but when I run it from the script, it
says it's cowardly refusing to create empty archives.
Also, when it runs, it shows removing leading slash, and that's what's sent
to me in my cron mail.
Is there a way I can direct errors to /dev/null from within the script?
This is what's happening to my crontab script with update, too.
It runs apt-get update
and then sends me mail with all the output--I've tried
apt-get update>/dev/null
Thanks, and sorry for all the questions--I'm not extremely familiar with
bash scripts.
I'd be greatful if someone could supply a decent tutorial that they've found
useful; I've found a few things, but they didn't go in to much depth.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
email: tyler at tysdomain.com
web: tysdomain-com
Visit for quality software and web design.
skype: st8amnd2005