booting debian installer from USB Stick

Kitty Litter n8kl at insightbb.com
Tue Nov 4 13:02:29 EST 2008

I have been trying to get the debian installer to boot from my stick and had
no luck until I got the latest daily build from Nov. 3. There are
instructions for doing this in the debian installer documentation but
basically you format stick with fat16 or fat32, install syslinux and mtools
package, install syslinux on stick, mount the iso image and copy vmlinuz and
initrd.gz to the stick, and make the appropriate syslinux.cfg file. Be sure
to get the correct initrd.gz from the install.amd/gtk directory depending on
your processor. Also copy the iso file to the stick. That's my story and I'm
sticking to it, remember I am a lowly Windows user!!!